Thread: Wheel bearings shot already?

Time Online
    1 d 7 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Wheel bearings shot already?

Well I took my car in for its routine oil change and tire rotation and they said the driver side wheel bearing is extremely worn out. I have 67,000 miles on the 2008 xD didnt think they would wear out so quick but hey Ive also put the car through some harsh time. Does anyone think I could get the dealer to replace the passenger side under extended warranty as well or any tricks to get them to do it?

Time Online
    3 d 20 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombixD View Post
    Well I took my car in for its routine oil change and tire rotation and they said the driver side wheel bearing is extremely worn out. I have 67,000 miles on the 2008 xD didnt think they would wear out so quick but hey Ive also put the car through some harsh time. Does anyone think I could get the dealer to replace the passenger side under extended warranty as well or any tricks to get them to do it?
    Not a chance. They can only replace parts that ARE bad under warranty, not parts that might go bad in the future. Besides, if you have the extended warranty, you've got some time yet, unless you're running out by time rather than mileage.

Administrator

Time Online
    6 d 18 h 21 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    You're NOT STILL USING Premier Shit Hole Toyota are you?

Time Online
    1 d 7 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by underESTIMATED View Post
    You're NOT STILL USING Premier Shit Hole Toyota are you?
    HAHAHAHAHAH I needed an oil change and they were the only ones to get in me in yesterday.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Not a chance. They can only replace parts that ARE bad under warranty, not parts that might go bad in the future. Besides, if you have the extended warranty, you've got some time yet, unless you're running out by time rather than mileage.
    Im covered for 7yrs 100k so im good for awhile.

Super Moderator
    Time Online
    4 d 1 h 23 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Wheel bearings are a wear item. not covered under warranty.

Ive burned through 2 on my tC.

Time Online
    3 d 20 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Wheel bearings are a wear item. not covered under warranty.

Ive burned through 2 on my tC.
    I don't think that's correct. At least not on a 'yota factory warranty. Wheel bearings should be covered as a "powertrain" item. I could verify that at work on Monday. If they didn't cover yours, you mighta got dicked. But again, I can get the absolute answer on Monday.

D Dave

Time Online
    1 d 7 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Man im gonna be pissed if they told me its covered and its really not yea could you check on if its cover i can give you vin number to look it up if you could do my actual cars warranty.

Super Moderator
    Time Online
    4 d 1 h 23 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I don't think that's correct. At least not on a 'yota factory warranty. Wheel bearings should be covered as a "powertrain" item. I could verify that at work on Monday. If they didn't cover yours, you mighta got dicked. But again, I can get the absolute answer on Monday.

D Dave
    I was told NOT COVERED.

I replaced them both last summer, and my drivers side is shot again.

Fucking timken. lol

Time Online
    3 d 20 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Man im gonna be pissed if they told me its covered and its really not yea could you check on if its cover i can give you vin number to look it up if you could do my actual cars warranty.
    Dude, that was actually directed to Mags. If they already replaced yours and sent you out the door, it's a done-deal. They're not gonna call you back and say they goofed and you owe them money. Mags, I will find out at work tomorrow and let you know. If you paid to have them done at another shop, you *might* be able to apply for reimbursement. If you did them yourself, there's probably no recourse, unfortunately.

Just as an observation, I can't help but notice what seems to be an overly high incidence of wheel bearing replacements here on this forum. While I would definitely say wheel bearings are one of the most commonly replaced items on Scions at our shop, I can't really say we replace alot of them. Here are some random thoughts on the subject, and I promise I'm NOT pointing any fingers at anyone's diagnostic or mechanical abilities. On the road, even to a trained ear, it can be VERY difficult to distinguish between a bad wheel bearing and a tire noise. It's important to verify which one you're really dealing with. I ALWAYS put a suspect one up in the air and listen to the bearing with a stethoscope. You'd be amazed at the noise an irregularly worn tire can generate. If there is play in the wheel, well, that's pretty clear-cut and you have to replace the hub as well.

If it's clearly a noisey bearing and has no play, you only need a bearing. For those who've had repeat failures, replacing that bearing isn't really a no-brainer. You MUST *press* the new bearing into the knuckle by its outer race. Beating it in with a hammer or pressing by the inner race will likely hurt the new bearing. Ditto for installing the bearing and knuckle down onto the hub by the outer race. I always press the bearing down into the knuckle by its outer race, then press the bearing and knuckle assembly down onto the hub by the inner race, rotating the assembly while pressing it so the bearing doesn't get cocked and bound up. Finally, you MUST torque the axle nut when putting it all back on the car, as improper torque will wipe out the new bearing in short order. Again, not trying to dis anybody's mechanical skills here, just trying to help you guys have fewer repeat problems or even mis-diagnoses.

My 0.25 Pesos
    D Dave

Time Online
    3 d 18 h 17 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Extended Warranty DOES cover wheel bearings. Maybe/probably not Factory Warranty. And they will only fix what IS worn out.

You can easily check for a "extremely worn out" bearing:

1. Listen for grinding or growling noises as you drive. A grinding noise is the most common noise you'll hear and is indicative of worn-out wheel bearings.
    It is normally load and must people refer to it as driving an air plane. Also, that noise (almost always) goes away when you turn right, if it is the 1 bearing - or turning left when it is the other bearing.

2. Jack up the car where they said the bearing is worn. Grab the tire at positions 12:00 and 6:00 and rock it back and forth. It should not really move. If it does move about 1/4" to a 1/5" then it can be said to be "extremely worn out".

Super Moderator
    Time Online
    4 d 1 h 23 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Its not the the tires, as I have 4 brand new shoes on my car, with less than 3k miles. I did not do the diagnosing, nor the repair work alone. I have faith in the people I trusted to help with the issue.

From what I have read around the the internet, and what I have heard from other techs, the 05 tC eats bearings. Like I said, oh well. Other than that, its been a great car for almost 6 years, and I owe nothing, so Ill fix it, and keep on driving.

Thanks for the input Dave.

Administrator

Time Online
    6 d 18 h 21 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    HAHAHAHAHAH I needed an oil change and they were the only ones to get in me in yesterday.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Im covered for 7yrs 100k so im good for awhile.
    If they were the last Toyota dealership in Ohio, I'd go to a Ford dealer before going to them. Walmart can do oil changes just as easily, and cheaper than that place.

If they already replaced yours and sent you out the door, it's a done-deal. They're not gonna call you back and say they goofed and you owe them money.
    You don't know Bob Fisher. He's the biggest cock-sucker I know, and I've grown to know quite a few.

3 years later, and I'm still fighting for my oustanding wages and bonus'.

However, great post.

Time Online
    3 d 20 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by underESTIMATED View Post
    You don't know Bob Fisher. He's the biggest cock-sucker I know, and I've grown to know quite a few.

Lol! That may be true, but you still can't call a customer back after you sent them out the door and say, "whoops, we fucked up and you owe us money". I once had a service writer who forgot to bill 6 hours labor on a repair order for a clutch job. It came outta his paycheck. The customer happily paid the bill and got his ass out the door as fast as he could.

Administrator

Time Online
    6 d 18 h 21 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Lol! That may be true, but you still can't call a customer back after you sent them out the door and say, "whoops, we fucked up and you owe us money". I once had a service writer who forgot to bill 6 hours labor on a repair order for a clutch job. It came outta his paycheck. The customer happily paid the bill and got his ass out the door as fast as he could.
    I bet he thought twice about making sure all RO's were closed out when the customer came to pick up their car.

Time Online
    1 d 7 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Well I have not got them replaced yet because they told me they had to order the part in and do it in some two step process and since it was new years eve the place they get parts is closed and i would have to call bakc tomorrow (monday) to get this done.

Time Online
    3 d 20 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I asked my service manager about wheel bearing warranty today. His reply was that if it's the bearing on the drive axle (front axle bearings on all Scion products), then it's covered under 60 month/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. If it's the wheel bearings at the non-driven end of the car, then it's the basic 36 month/36,00 mile warranty. He's been around long enough to know, so I'll trust his answer.

D Dave