Thread: Look what the cat dragged in............

Time Online
    3 d 20 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Look what the cat dragged in............

I have a really good view of the service drive/write-up area from my bay. So it didn't take more than a second for me to see this puppy roll in the door............

I recognized the driver right away, as he's one of my Prius customers. Apparently his brother is half owner of a 'yota/Scion dealer in NC. So he went there, bought the car and drove it home. I was fairly busy at the time so didn't get to have alot of conversation with him. He did say that he got 42 mpg on the drive home, and that he's getting 35 around town. Not bad for not broken in yet. We were very much in agreement that the silver outside mirrors are hideous, and color-matched would be a big improvement. so I hooked him up with one of my buddies (a painter) over at the collision center to get them painted. I'm sure he has some paint leftover from my car...same color code. He says it's like driving a go-kart and he's really enjoying it. Only IQ in the area that isn't being driven by a Scion rep. Hopefully, I'll get to see it/touch it/drive it sometime soon, and will be able to report back with more details. The one negative comment he had (besides the mirror color) is that the exhaust pipe doesn't come out from under the car, so he feels like he gets too much exhaust noise inside. He also wishes they had done more of the Hot Lava on the inside, like my xD. As it is, there's one thin stripe of it on top of the center dash cluster that you can see through the windshield. That's fixable too.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    hmm. still not sure if i like them or not. i never saw the iq plate on the front though. unless thats where the license plate covers up

Time Online
    18 h 16 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Do not like

Time Online
    6 d 19 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by pwxb View Post
    Do not like
    I agree. I can honestly now say no.
    .carve your apology in your wrist and let the guilt drip from your fingertips.

Time Online
    18 h 16 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree. I can honestly now say no.
    I don't get the appeal to this car. A smaller xD? Looks like a retarded smart car. They could have at least been innovative, and made it all electric like the Nissan Leaf. I forgot Scion lost all of it's innovation after then Gen 1 Scions.

Time Online
    4 d 8 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    i like them and cant wait to see some more of them modified.

OS SUPER DUPER VIP (Donator) raptC's Avatar
    Time Online
    18 h 31 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It looks better than a Smart car!

Seriously tho...this car is way outta place here in the States. It fits right in pretty much anywhere else. It'll be a tough sell.

Time Online
    6 d 19 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It gets uglier every time I see it.
    It's impractical for most Americans: it's not big enough to be an everyday car for Americans, and too expensive to be a "work car commuter" for most, unless they have money, but then why spend it on this?
    It just seems to have little practical use for Americans...and its not appealing to me at all, and I even tend to like small hatch's.

Time Online
    2 d 1 h 43 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    If I still lived in LA or Chicago, I would consider it. Out here in the country, not so much

Time Online
    18 h 16 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It gets uglier every time I see it.
    It's impractical for most Americans: it's not big enough to be an everyday car for Americans, and too expensive to be a "work car commuter" for most, unless they have money, but then why spend it on this?
    It just seems to have little practical use for Americans...and its not appealing to me at all, and I even tend to like small hatch's.
    I agree with you 100%. If I bought a commuter car, I am buying the cheapest Kia/Hyundai I can buy, period.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwern View Post
    If I still lived in LA or Chicago, I would consider it. Out here in the country, not so much
    it would be alot of fun to drive in a really jammed city. and parking would be a breeze!

Time Online
    6 d 19 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Scionic128 View Post
    it would be alot of fun to drive in a really jammed city. and parking would be a breeze!
    Smart Fortwo is better for that.
    iQ is over 1 foot longer than the Smart, and more expensive, and gets slightly less city MPG (rated) than the Smart Fortwo.
    I'm not saying the Smart is a better car overall, but it's definitely THE city car to have if you had to choose between the two.

Time Online
    3 d 20 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Sooooo guess what I got to drive today?? And not the same one! We actually got one in today, but it's not for sale...it's a rental demonstrator. They did the same thing when the Prius first launched. They rolled them out gradually around the country, and the first ones were available to rent, but not to buy, so people could try them out for a day or two. This one was (and I hesitate to use the word) *loaded*...for an IQ. Apparently cruise control isn't even an option as far as I can tell. But since it's a rental demo, it came with 16" alloys and a Pioneer head unit with bluetooth, carpet floor mats, yada, yada. And yes, it's Hot Lava. But whoever thought those silver mirrors were a good idea should be fired immediately!

It's so freaking short wheelbase, I wasn't even sure I could pick it up with one of our lifts! I got it up there, but it was scary to say the least. The mothership says that the balance of this car is so precarious that you shouldn't even take the wheels off without having it supported with tall jackstands at both ends! Ie: if you remove the rear wheels, it might take a nosedive off the lift since it's pretty front-heavy. We did get three pretty large guys in the car at one time, and all said they were comfortable, but four adults just ain't happenin' unless they're all pretty damn short. We've got a salesman who's 6'6" and he got in the driver's seat. He didn't look real comfortable to me, but he said he was ok with it.

The thing is crazy to drive. It drives like a forklift (forklifts steer from the rear!). It just turns so ridiculously quick. Backing into a parking space will take ALOT of practice, as I started turning way too early every time. It turns on a dime, but the tires are waaaay too tall, skinny, and squirmy for it to handle like anything. A set of 18's and some low-pros and this thing would rock in the corners. It's not under-powered, but not exactly awe-inspiring. The CVT might feel funny to the average Joe, but if you've driven a Prius you wouldn't even notice it. Other than the sweet red-stitched neoprene steering wheel, this thing doesn't garner any points for interior styling. The door panels are kinda cool, but the Dash is just all wrong. Ditto for the seat material. And NO glove box! Just a pull out drawer under the passenger seat. Also, no spare tire, just a bottle of fix-a-flat and a pump!

That's a tweeter in the door panel in case you weren't sure.

It's so freaking stubby. I should have gotten out a tape measure. but it looks almost as wide as it is long. When I went to park it, the parking spot next to my car was open, so I pulled it in for comparison. I lined up the front wheels side by side. The xD is pretty damn short already, but this thing...

Again...front wheels are dead even.........

Not too hard to see the family resemblance.

Now only time will tell if people will actually buy them. We shall see. And get this...the spoiler actually touches the antenna when the hatch is open, so they put a little piece of 3M tape on the spoiler where it touches so it won't rub the paint. I'd put on a shorter antenna and lose the tape, but that's just me. Personally, I'd never buy one, but if you gave me one, I'd drive the shit out of it. First mods (besides the antenna thing) would be to lower it, big wheels and tires, and a custom plate that said LOW IQ .
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 02-13-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    still not a fan even though i do love to drive forklifts.lol good review though. its nice to see the car at different angles.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    the rear window looks the same on the iQ as it does on the lexus ct200h

Time Online
    16 h 5 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    we got one in this week as well as a rental demonstrator. i'm super excited to get behind the wheel of the thing, but that won't be until next friday when i take it out for an event we're sponsoring. i love the look of it in person tho. really quirky car.

1000% with you guys on the pricing/practicality of it. for $15-17k you can get a sedan with an actual trunk and still get about the same MPG with way more real world usability. maybe if i were in a super urban area i'd consider it, but even then it would be a stretch.

Time Online
    4 d 8 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I think you will be surprised at how many people are going to buy these . Smart car are ugly and people bought them. Fiat's are ugly and I see them every where. Just you wait and see they will be every where.

Time Online
    3 d 20 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post
    we got one in this week as well as a rental demonstrator. i'm super excited to get behind the wheel of the thing, but that won't be until next friday when i take it out for an event we're sponsoring. i love the look of it in person tho. really quirky car.

Try backing it into a parking spot a few times...you'll miss every time!

even then it would be a stretch.

Time Online
    6 d 19 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotatech1 View Post
    I think you will be surprised at how many people are going to buy these . Smart car are ugly and people bought them. Fiat's are ugly and I see them every where. Just you wait and see they will be every where.
    True. And I bet you'll see used car lots filled with them in several years, or people unhappily stuck with them. Just because they sell doesn't mean they are great cars, it just means there are that many people out there that are impulse buyers.

Time Online
    16 h 5 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    went out in the iq today with one of our sales guys. for as small of a car as it is, it rides pretty nice. has more power than i expected too. nothing at all impressive, but its definitely more nimble than a prius. engine drone is kinda annoying but other than that its not terrible to be in, especially if you've got the radio on. definitely a funky little car.

Time Online
    3 d 20 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Did you think the tires felt too squirmy in the corners?? They felt really flexxy to me. A set of 18's will fix that in a heartbeat. ;-}

RE: the engine drone...did you notice the tailpipe doesn't come out from under the car? I think a short angled exhaust tip that gets it out from under the valance would help the drone out alot.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    car looks alot better in person than it does in pics. saw a white one at DJ scion/toyota today and it looked sweet. nothing i would drive but still cool

Time Online
    1 h 34 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I wonder how the drive of these compares to the Fiat.

I had a 500 while my bumper was getting repaired, and it was surprisingly fun to drive. Personally, if I didn't need all the extra hauling space my box provides, I'd go with a micro-car like the iQ or Smart.