Thread: Megan Racing Coilovers Review: tC

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Megan Racing Coilovers Review: tC

I ordered through MengMotorsports who had fantastic customer service. Package arrived late Thursday. I got around to installing them this afternoon.Typical suspension install so nothing unusual there. Took it for a drive and DAMN! Its stiff (in a good way that wont break your back) and handles like a monster. Coming from the TRD springs, I dont even have to lift on some corners i would normally go half throttle on. Pics will be up later whenever i get the ride height set since its truckin. If you got any questions, feel free to ask as I'm not really sure what to say but wow. lol

Time Online
    6 d 19 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    update us in 6 months and again in 12 months to let us know how they age. Some coilovers handling drastically changes within a year of use.
    .carve your apology in your wrist and let the guilt drip from your fingertips.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    quick question since you might know. I was going to get an alignment this weekend but since im in no rush bc of the winter, im going to wait till after spring to do it. How long does it take coilovers to settle if they are just sitting? my car will just be chillin in a storage unit for a few months and im wondering if thats enough to settle them or if they have to be driven on to settle?

Administrator

Time Online
    6 d 18 h 17 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Scionic128 View Post
    quick question since you might know. I was going to get an alignment this weekend but since im in no rush bc of the winter, im going to wait till after spring to do it. How long does it take coilovers to settle if they are just sitting? my car will just be chillin in a storage unit for a few months and im wondering if thats enough to settle them or if they have to be driven on to settle?
    I thought it was a mileage thing, more so than a storage thing.

500-1k miles for springs or struts to become "broken in" I thought.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    thats what im trying to figure out bc i dont wanna get an alignment then dial in the coils then get another alignment

Time Online
    6 d 19 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    don't get an alignment until next spring if you're not going to drive it this winter. wait atleast a few hundred miles a good solid driving before spending your money on an alignment. just having weight on them won't properly get them broken in and settled, they need to be used.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    so on a scale of 1 to 10, how fucked are my tires gunna be after a few hundred miles of no alignment? there pretty new so im not trying to screw em up

Time Online
    6 d 19 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    so on a scale of 1 to 10, how fucked are my tires gunna be after a few hundred miles of no alignment? there pretty new so im not trying to screw em up
    that's impossible to say because I don't know how far off your camber and toe is. A few hundred miles of incorrect (in your case negative) camber won't do any damage to your tires, unless it's excessive negative camber (like those hella flush clowns). Toe is another story. If it's off by a lot it could chew up your tires some and cause increased wear, if it's just a little off from factory specs it won't do any noticeable damage.
    unless you have a way of adjusting your camber (either camber plates or the bolt kit), the alignment won't really fix any camber, however they should be able to adjust your toe to factory specs, if not they should be able to get really close to where it won't be an issue.
    Does the tC have adjustable rear toe? I know the xA and xB1 don't have any adjustment in the rear.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    i believe it does but i havnt had an alignment since in a long time. And as far as preload goes, whats "too much"? I have 4mm all around now but whats the max you would go? i tried searching on google and stuff but
    no one can agree on a good "this suits most people" number.

Time Online
    6 d 19 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    i believe it does but i havnt had an alignment since in a long time. And as far as preload goes, whats "too much"? I have 4mm all around now but whats the max you would go? i tried searching on google and stuff but
    no one can agree on a good "this suits most people" number.
    That I don't really know. 4mm doesn't sound like much to me. Maybe John or Mike, if you can get a hold of him, can give you information on that.

Administrator

Time Online
    6 d 18 h 17 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    That's a speculative term. That's like asking if you go over your mileage on an oil change interval.
    You could eat up a brand new set of tires within a few hundred miles if the only thing you did in life was brake torque at every light, stop sign, and parking lot you see.

I can't imagine you driving your tC at Mid-Ohio anytime soon, and not for 1k's of laps. Therefore, on the streets of Stow...I think you will be fine.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Nick- i was talking to a guy last night and he said he runs like 15mm which sounds more normal (but what do i know)
    Dave- just trying to maintain an investment.lol

Time Online
    6 d 19 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I would go closer to 15mm than 4mm.
    Megan Racing doesn't have any suggestions on their site or with the kit itself?

Administrator

Time Online
    6 d 18 h 17 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Nick- i was talking to a guy last night and he said he runs like 15mm which sounds more normal (but what do i know)
    Dave- just trying to maintain an investment.lol
    I'm so far removed from the car industry I couldn't really tell you what's what anymore.
    But in the grand scheme of things, you spent $500-$1k on coilovers...and 500+/- miles on any tire isn't going to do that much damage in the period of which you're concerned about.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Nick- yea i tried calling them but they just said whatever suits your driving style.lol but i was trying to find a sort of base starting point to then fine tune and dial in.
    Dave- im just trying to play it safe. me=poor college kid.

Administrator

Time Online
    6 d 18 h 17 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Dave- im just trying to play it safe. me=poor college kid.
    Can't be too poor if you're spending $500-$1k on coilovers, and are worrying about tire wear.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by underESTIMATED View Post
    Can't be too poor if you're spending $500-$1k on coilovers, and are worrying about tire wear.
    im poor BECAUSE i spent that money on coils.lol

Super Moderator
    Time Online
    8 d 12 h 13 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Always debated getting these myself when I had the tC, but never pulled the trigger. Use them in good health, looking forward to seeing how they end up working out for you.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    i toook it for a spirited run just now and it is drastically different. Im going to reset the preload tonight and raise it up a hair. then get an alignment. Ill let you know how they hold up

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    alright folks i need some ideas. the dampening turny knob things for the front hinder putting the cowl back on. I dont mind dremeling a whole but i need to cap it or somehow make it water tight so water doesnt enter into the shock. any ideas? Since the turn knobs are only allen keys, i was thinking about a grommet i can quickly pull out to adjust stifness. but dont wanna do anything till i hear some more ideas.

Time Online
    6 d 19 h 41 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    can you get pics?
    I know what you're talking about, but not visualizing well enough to brainstorm.

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    yea tomorrow ill post some up. The rears are covered by the trunk interior but i was going to cut a hole and use velcro to patch that back up so it looks stock

Time Online
    3 d 4 h 24 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    OK sorry for the wait folks but Finals week came and made my life a living hell for a few days. But now im all done and here are some pics.
    i decicded 8mm preload all the way around and to get the knobs to fit, i just took them off.

Heres just a front tire shot

Heres front tire gap (finger parallel to the floor. About 3/4 a finger gap)

Rear gap (finger parallel to the floor. bout 1/2 a finger gap)

From ground to bottom of RS1 lip

heres a bad angle but you can kinda see what i was talking about with the knobs.